Support for deaf people
Citizens Advice North Somerset
We have closed our face to face service but you can still get advice from Citizens Advice North Somerset:
The deaf health charity, SignHealth and online interpreting company InterpreterNow, have together launched ‘BSLHealthAccess’ which enables the provision of immediate, on demand access to British Sign Language (BSL) interpreters for communication with Deaf people in health settings free of charge during the current Coronavirus situation.
Users can download an app onto their mobile phone or computer so that they can contact a GP, hospital or care home in BSL.
There is a video about BSL Health available here.
Masks are becoming available with a clear screen to aid lip reading. We are aware of two products, both are suitable for day to day communication but are not for use in medical settings:
- https://shop.irishdeaf.com/clear-face-mask - a transparent face mask (€99 for a pack of 24)
- https://www.just-smile.uk - this is a fabric mask with a clear panel (£5 each)
Action on Hearing Loss have designed ‘exemption cards’ for people with a hearing loss and for people communicating with someone who has a hearing loss. Also a clear guide to face covering regulations.
Domestic abuse - North Somerset
Next Link now provides domestic abuse support in North Somerset.
They can be contacted via:
0800 4700 280
Text Relay is also available for callers who are deaf or hearing impaired. If using a textphone, prefix the helpline number by 18001.
- Universal Credit (from Citizens Advice)
- Contact the Help To Claim service. Webchat is available. Or call 0800 144 8 444.
- Understanding Universal Credit (from gov.uk)
- New video service for deaf claimants accessing Universal Credit (from gov.uk)